- Appellate Law
- Business Litigation
- Class Actions
- Contract Disputes
- Corporate / General Counsel
- Hurricane Damage
- Insurance Claims
- Personal Injury
- College of William and Mary, B.A., 2006
- Florida Coastal School of Law, J.D., summa cum laude
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. Circuit Court, Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
Lydia Sturgis Zbrzeznj is a native Floridian and was raised in St. Augustine, Florida along with her five siblings. Lydia grew up attending Good News Church, where her father Smiley Sturgis was the pastor. Lydia played four years of varsity soccer at Nease High School and won a State Championship her senior year. She then attended the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia, on a full soccer scholarship and played all four years on the women’s soccer team.
Lydia went on to attend Florida Coastal School of Law in Jacksonville, Florida. During law school, she maintained a class rank of number 1 through all six semesters, was a Staff Editor on the Florida Coastal Law Review, obtained a Sports Law Certificate and Pro Bono Honors Award, served as a research assistant to two professors, and clerked for two civil litigation firms. Upon graduation, Lydia took the Florida Bar. Based on Lydia’s high score, she was selected by the Second District Court of Appeal to speak at the fall 2012 Induction Ceremony.
Prior to joining the Southern Atlantic Law Group, Lydia worked at a civil litigation firm in Bartow, Florida, for nearly seven years. All of Lydia’s experience as an attorney has consisted of working as a civil litigation and appellate attorney. She focuses on providing efficient, effective and practical legal services to her clients, and takes pride in achieving positive results through this approach. Lydia has been an avid reader and writer since childhood and enjoys the value of strong legal research and writing skills bring to a case.
Lydia lives in Polk County with her husband, Nick, and their children. She and her family attend Heartland Church in Winter Haven, Florida, and Good News Church in St. Augustine, Florida.
- Selected to speak at the fall 2012 Second District Court of Appeal Induction Ceremony based on performance on the July 2012 bar exam
- Graduated law school with a class rank of #1
- Dean’s Scholar all 6 semesters of law school
- Sport’s Law Certificate Recipient
- Pro Bono Honors Award
- Staff Editor Florida Coastal Law Review, August 2010 – May 2012
- Book Awards in Constitutional Law I & II, Criminal Procedure, Lawyers Process 1 & 2 (legal research and writing), Comprehensive Law Practice III, Florida Constitutional Law, Media Law, Sports Law Seminar, Torts I
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tenth Circuit Judicial Nominating Commission, 2018- Present, Chair (2019-2021)
- Florida Association for Women Lawyers, 2017-present
Polk Association for Women Lawyers, 2017-present, Past Vice-President, President-Elect, President, current Immediate Past President
Florida Bar Constitutional Judiciary Committee, Term ending in 2022
- Florida Bar Committee on Professionalism, Term ending in 2022
Florida Bar Voluntary Bar Liaison Committee, Term ending in 2023
American Business Women’s Association, Downtown Lakeland Chapter